The enormous amount of work required to make an online community work - and the move to the new HiNZ platform!

This article absolutely nails the realities of what is needed to make an online community (like the eHealth Forum) work:

Much of the work is hidden, and often not appreciated by those in governance roles. It is also very difficult to get the staff of an organisation to do this kind of work, unless it is clearly directed from the top - and of course appreciated and remunerated.

This has been the dynamic with HiNZ and the eHealth Forum for many years, but it isn’t unique to us. Rather, it is the challenge to be managed / overcome for us to be successful as an online digital health community.

As we look toward formally moving the eHealth Forum into HiNZ’s new platform over the coming months, this will be a key part of how things shape up going forward.

6 Likes

You really are the MVP of ‘Community Managers’ @NathanK - thank you for all you do in this space!!

I think I should clarify, I mean MVP as in Most Valuable Player (not a minimum viable product!) :rofl:

9 Likes

Thank you Olivia; it is super nice to get some genuine encouragement!

Going forwards we really are going to need some keen people to help us settle into the (up and coming) new HiNZ website. The @STAHDigital and @NMI committees have kindly offered to get in early and push it around; and we’d love some more volunteers to help us craft it into a really great asset for our NZ digital health community.

Anyone up for this?

4 Likes

We’re excited to see how the new platform looks and support you! It will be a huge task so multiple volunteers is always appreciated.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you both!

We are currently working on the design of the site and readying the eHealth Forum for migration.

Hence there are a lot of moving parts and sharp bits at the moment, but it should soon settle down to the point where it is ready to play with.

I’ll put out a formal call once it is at that point.

1 Like

As always, Nathan, you’re doing an amazing job. Not sure what I can offer in terms of support but you know how I can help, so call out when you need to.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help

1 Like

Thanks Chinonso! I’ll take you up on that.

We are getting very close to testing the new site; just waiting for the first iteration of the design to be dropped into the site so that it will look and feel a lot more like it will end up (currently it is more a functional skeleton).

@Jacinta and @oliviaclendon - almost ready! Will be in touch.

If anyone else is keen to be part of this, drop a reply here!

3 Likes

Count me in, thanks.

2 Likes

Unsure, if I’d be of any help. But happy to help. Thanks.

2 Likes

@NathanK if you think I can be of use let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you all - I’m just waiting on something to be re-activated on the new site so I can let you in to take a look at the imported eHealth Forum content (hopefully later today).

Next week (if all going well) we should be able to take a wider look at the whole site :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes